Armin Strom, the Swiss luxury watch manufacturer known for its edgy, eye-catching transparent mechanics, has just launched a rare and stunning new version of its milestone Gravity Equal Force timepiece. With its off-center grey-toned sapphire dial, the strikingly cool monochrome watch offers an extraordinary view of the exquisitely-finished manufacture movement and further enhances the brand’s reputation for its irrepressible, exuberant independence.
Armin Strom’s Gravity Equal Force has made quite an impression on watch enthusiasts since it was first launched in 2019. And for good reason: it is the world’s first automatic watch with constant force transmission, which results in consistent power delivery to the balance. In short, it means that the watch always delivers flawlessly constant precision. Its ASB19 caliber offers a power reserve of 72 hours.
The timepiece stands out not only with its groundbreaking technology but by a design and craftsmanship that set it apart from every other watch. With the launch of the Gravity Equal Force Ultimate Sapphire, Armin Strom has reinforced its commitment to the transparent mechanics that have been generating an industry-wide buzz since the brand’s beginnings. The watch is distinguished in equal part by its technical and aesthetic innovations:
- The movement’s black plate guilloche pattern was created by hand by the celebrated Finnish watchmaker Kari Voutilainen, a close friend of Armin Strom’s founders.
- The off-center grey-toned sapphire dial offers an unobstructed view of the fascinating mechanics inside the case and emphasizes the brand’s passion for transparent mechanics, which are at the core of its design philosophy.
- The bridges are coated with dark grey ruthenium; the barrel and the micro rotor are coated with rhodium.
- The Gravity Equal Force’s ASB19 movement includes a “stop work” mechanism that prevents the mainspring from fully unwinding, thus leveraging only the part of the mainspring’s unwinding process that can deliver power most consistently.
- The steel hands with Super-LumiNova® filling are manufactured by Armin Strom and like all of the visible parts of the movement, are meticulously hand-finished in-house
Presented in a classic 41 mm stainless-steel case, the Armin Strom Gravity Equal Force Ultimate Sapphire comes with a black fabric strap with light grey stitching, subtly maintaining the watch’s resolutely cool monochrome color scheme.
Claude Greisler, Armin Strom’s co-founder and head watchmaker, points out that the new watch’s cool, understated monochrome design will appeal to fans of the brand’s design philosophy: “We’ve re-imagined the Gravity Equal Force to more fully embrace our passion for transparent mechanics, while adding complementary aesthetic complexity that enhances the watch’s special visual impact.”
Serge Michel, founder of Armin Strom adds: “The special version of our GEF was extremely well received in early presentations to collectors so we hope to be able to produce 30 more watches next year in addition to the 15 from this year. That may, however, be too ambitious because our capacities are limited and it always has to be a rare piece, which is why we have decided that half of all future productions will be placed on a first-come/first-served waiting list for those who inquire via our website.”